19 November 2013

Living in Frederica

One of the homeschooling assignments for today was adapted from Activity 1: Living in Frederica from Curriculum Materials For Teachers on the National Park Service website for Fort Frederica (access here).

The girls were directed to pretend they were settlers practicing a particular trade or craft in Frederica and then write a letter home to a friend or relative in Great Britain describing their life.

Phoenix excitedly declared her first choice, "Makeup artist."

"You're not going to get to go to the colonies with that trade," said Jamey.

Phoenix then chose being a cook, Indigo chose being her apprentice, and they made Buckwheat Griddle Cakes for lunch.  The recipe for the griddle cakes came from another great resource, The U.S. History Cookbook: Delicious Recipes and Exciting Events from the Past by Joan D'Amico and Karen Eich Drummond (an e-book on our Kindle, checked out from the library).
__________

PHOENIX'S LETTER:

Dear Madame Blufé, My Dearest Teacher,

So far our journey has been improving day by day.  We have discovered a lot of dolphins that have been following us cheerfully.

Three and ten days ago we arrived on the island where we have decided to build our town.  We are in the swamp so there are a great many bugs pestering our huts.  The important men of our big group have made friends with the Indians.

I am not sure when the ruthless Spanish will attack, and I hope they will not come to our village of huts and rid us of what few possessions we have.

As you know I am working as a cook so that I may stay.  Four days ago I met my perky assistant.  She is always wanting to do more than is expected.  Today we have made griddle cakes for the hungry people.  Her mother is the baker, and every day Indigo comes to work carrying a small portion of sweet bread for me to munch.  Oh, the sweet dear.

Well, I hope to hear from you soon.  Goodbye for now.

Love,
Phoenix

P.S. I wish to stay in this new land.
___________

INDIGO'S LETTER:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I am having a great time.  I hope you are doing well.

I just made griddle cakes.  I kept a secret about them.  The secret was they were pancakes.

Anyways, my life has been great except that cannons are fired.  It is really scary.

The town is bigger than I thought.  I live in a tiny house, but it is two stories tall.

On the voyage over, I got seasick a lot.

When eight bells ring, it is time to start working.  When I said I was cooking, I was the assistant cook.

I miss you.

Love,
Indigo
____________

WHERE WE ARE: We remain anchored next to Fort Frederica, opting to stay put today due to big, gusty NE winds.
IMG 2639
The village cook
PB180328
Apprentice to the apprentice

3 comments:

  1. Your adventures sound like so much fun. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it has been super fun (most of the time). Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daddy's favorite pancake was Buckwheat! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete